Zoning Department

The Zoning Department, a division of the Public Works Department, enforces the zoning code and property maintenance code within the City of Norwalk. This office also issues residential and commercial property zoning permits while maintaining the GIS mapping and reviewing site plans.

Zoning Permits

What kind of work requires a zoning permit?

Exterior alterations and additions of all residential and commercial buildings, excluding siding, roofs, windows, and shingles, require permits

See the Zoning Fee Schedule for more information on the cost of a permit. If you are unsure whether or not a permit is required, please contact the Zoning Office at 419-663-6783.


How do I obtain a zoning permit?

  1. Contact the Zoning Office at 419-663-6783 to discuss setbacks and regulations. The office, located on the second floor at City Hall, is open 8 a.m. to 4:30 pm.

  2. Complete the appropriate application. Applications can be obtained on this website or by accessing the City of Norwalk GIS map. Click on the appropriate parcel and complete the attached zoning permit. If the work will be contracted, a Construction Affidavit will also need to be completed and submitted with your application.


Residential permits and sign permits are issued upon review by the Zoning Officer, typically within one to two days of submittal unless additional information or a variance is required.  

The City does not have a Building Inspector. The city does not have a surveyor and cannot locate any property pins. all survey work should be directed to a certified surveyor of your choosing.  All electrical questions should be directed to a certified electrician of your choosing.

New commercial or industrial permits require a site plan review. Review meetings are scheduled by the Zoning Officer as needed.  Richland County actually issues commercial permits for the City of Norwalk.

Permit fees must be paid upon issuance of the permit.


Variances & Conditional Uses

An approved variance is required for anyone wishing to deviate from the zoning requirements of the Norwalk Codified Ordinances. A request for a variance must go before the Board of Zoning Appeals, which meets once monthly. The variance request fee is $50. VARIANCE APPLICATION

A conditional use refers to a use permitted within a zoning district other than a principally permitted use. A conditional use permit must be approved by the Board of Zoning Appeals, which meets once monthly. The conditional use permit request fee is $50. CONDITIONAL USE REQUEST FORM

Zoning Violations

A zoning violation occurs when a property does not meet the regulations as governed in the Zoning Ordinance.

The most common zoning violations in the City are junk/abandoned vehicles, exterior property and structure maintenance, and junk and other discarded materials. Property maintenance includes high grass and weeds and garbage/trash.

How do I report a zoning violation?

• Contact the Zoning Office at 419-663-6783

• Visit the Zoning Office, located on the second floor at City Hall, 8 a.m. to 4:30 pm.

• Follow this Action Line Link to report a violation.

What happens after a violation is reported?

  1. The Zoning Officer will review the report and visit the site of the complaint

  2. If the Zoning Officer determines there is a violation, the officer will issue the proper Abatement Notice to the property owner.

  3. After a set amount of time, noted in the Abatement Notice, the site will be re-inspected for compliance.

  4. If the violation is not corrected at the time of re-inspection, legal action will be initiated.   

Grass, Weed and Vegetation Control in the City of Norwalk.   click here for NCO 1306.12(b)

Please realize that the abatement process takes time. Property owners must be legally notified, sufficient time for correcting violations must be provided, and extensions may be necessary. If you have made a complaint and wish to check on its status, please feel free to contact the Zoning Officer.


GIS Mapping

What is it?

The City of Norwalk GIS is an interactive mapping system that allows users to retrieve property information by turning layers on and off and by selecting features on the map. Information in this system includes, but is not limited to:

• Parcel information linked to the Huron County Auditor

• Zoning district, zoning permit and development standards/setbacks

• Wetland and floodplain location

• City parks

• Public buildings, including hours of operation and contact information

• Sanitation pickup routes

• Ward map and councilperson contact information

Please feel free to contact the Zoning Officer if you need assistance navigating the GIS map.

DISCLAIMER The parcel information depicted on this map is for informational purposes and may not have been prepared for or be suitable for legal, engineering, or surveying purposes. It does not represent on-the-ground survey and represents only the approximate relative location of property boundaries.